2. He has Bachelor’s degrees in Commerce and Law, both from Kanpur University.
3. The Dalit leader became a Rajya Sabha MP in April 1994 from Uttar Pradesh and served for two consecutive terms for 12 years until March 2006.
4. Kovind is an advocate by profession. He was a central government advocate in the Delhi high court from 1977 to 1979, and Central Government Standing Counsel in the Supreme Court from 1980 to 1993. He became the Advocate-on-Record of the Supreme Court in 1978. He practiced in the Delhi high court and the Supreme Court for 16 years until 1993. He enrolled as an Advocate in 1971 with the Bar Council of Delhi.
5. Kovind has served as member on several important Parliamentary Committees. They include: Parliamentary Committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes/Tribes, Parliamentary Committee on Home Affairs, Parliamentary Committee on Petroleum and Natural Gas, Parliamentary Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment, Parliamentary Committee on Law and Justice. He also chaired the Rajya Sabha House Committee.
6. The Bihar governor is a former president of the BJP Dalit Morcha (1998-2002) and President of the All-India Koli Samaj. He has also served as national spokesperson of the party.
7. Kovind has served as a board member at Dr. B.R Ambedkar University in Lucknow and the Indian Institute of Management in Kolkata.
8. He has represented India in the United Nations and addressed the United Nations General Assembly in October, 2002.
9. Kovind is married and has a son and a daughter.